A evening walk in a beautiful lush green lawn will definitely make you feel happy and enhance your health. Also, it turns to be a perfect playground to your kids or place to gather your family or friends.
So, to maintain your lawn look green and healthy then you should know how and when to aerate your yard to help the soil absorb air, water, nutrients and fertilizers to reach the roots of the grass for their perfect growth.
Here, in this article, we are providing a Buying guide along with some best lawn aerators that are available in the market. Before you thought to buy a lawn aerator, just go through this guide and products that work best in aerating your lawn.
Best Lawn Aerators
|Lawn Aerators||Type / Power Source||Suitable for Area||Weight||Warranty||Buy Now|
|GreenWorks Lawn Aerator||Corded Electric||Larger Lawns||25.92 lbs
|Yard Butler Lawn Aerator 6C||Self-propelled||Small Old Lawns||3.72 pounds||-------|
|Sun Joe Lawn Aerator||Corded Electric||Medium to Larger lawns||27 lbs||2 years|
|Scuddles Lawn Shoes||Self-propelled||Small lawns||2 pounds||Lifetime|
|Mantis Tiller Aerator||Battery Powered||Medium compact clay soil||17.5 pounds||2 years|
|Abco Tech Lawn Aerator||Self-propelled||Small lawns||2.25 pounds||-------|
|Brinly Lawn Aerator||Battery (lawn tractor)||Heavy Compacted or clay-rich soil||64.5 pounds||-------|
|Agri Fab 45 – 0299 Aerator||Battery Powered||Larger Yard||85.9 lbs||3 years|
|Yard Butler Lawn Aerator||Self-propelled||Small Compacted soil
Best Lawn Aerators: Reviews
Type – Corded dethatcher / Corded electric This GreenWorks 14-inch 10 Amp corded dethatcher 27022 is powered by a precision built electric motor that has to be connected to a power supply of 120 volts, 60 Hz alternating current (AC) but never ever operate this dethatcher on direct current. It also ensures a zero carbon footprint.
Body and Material – It has an adjustable handle with an ergonomic padded grip that adds user comfort while you remove the thatch from the lawn. It also contains adjustable tine depth of 3 positions which provides greater control by removing matted layers. The sharp stainless steel tines will provide reliable performance and it also includes full set of replacement tines for a total of 18. It is also recommended to have a wire gauge size at least 14 for an extension cord 50 feet length or less to prevent a drop in line voltage that may result in overheating or loss of power. It weighs 25.92 lbs with dimensions 25.3x18x12.5 inches.
Working Mechanism – The only thing is that you have to purchase some heavy duty power extension cable (as it works with electricity) to use this device in your lawn. Push on the button given on the side of the device and just slightly pull it on the way you want to aerate and dethatch the lawn area.
- Suitable for medium to large sized lawns
- Cost effective and time saving
- No pollution (air or sound) which in turn improves the health and appearance of you and your lawn
- Easy to use and highly effective (works like aerator and dethatcher)
- 4 year warranty
- Easy to assemble
- Need to buy a power extension cable
- Works only if there is adequate power supply
- Some users say that the handle will break after a few usages of this dethatcher (as it is made of plastic).
Type – Coring Aerator The Yard Butler Lawn Coring Aerator is a manual lawn plug aerator and dethatcher that reduce the compaction and thatch of the soil and thereby let the air, water and fertilizers down to the root zone. Although, it works best for small lawn areas but it strengthens drought and heat tolerance in the turf.
Body and Material – The heavy duty powder coated steel handheld lawn corer is built for a lifetime of use. It enables you to extract a 2 ½ inch X 3 ½ inch area to reduce the amount of soil compaction, encourages turf growth and promotes vigorous root growth. 37-inch tool height is designed to reduce the back strain and thereby eases you to aerate the whole yard. It weighs 3.72 pounds (lightweight) with dimensions of 1.8 X 8.8 X 36.5 inches
Working Mechanism – Simply place your foot on the foot platform of this aerator and apply pressure to drive the aerator deep into the ground. It enables you to experience extra leverage as it takes off some of the pressure from the arms and shoulders.
- Easy to clean and store this light weighted aerator
- Durable, safe and convenient product
- Ease to use – no assembly required
- Cost effective
- Lifetime guarantee
- More physical exertion and time consuming
- Tines get clogged
Type: Corded Electric Let your lawn breath with this Sun Joe AJ801E electric scarifier and lawn dethatcher. It is powered by a robust 12 amp motor that make the dethatcher rakes a 12.6 inch wide path in a single pass. This aerator comes with a scarifier and scraper which make you easier to reseed scraped areas of your lawn.
Body and Material – There is a 5 position depth control knob that tailor the raking depth from –0.4 in. (10 mm below the soil) to + 0.4 in. (10 mm above the soil) that depends on the lawn’s scarifying or dethatching needs. The spring steel tines works on air boost technology for maximum thatch pickup. It weighs 27 pounds with dimensions of 21 X 23 X 41 inches
Working Mechanism – This aerator / dethacter is very easy to assemble within a couple of minutes. It also contains a hatch bag to clean the area and collect the grass. This electric dethatcher Joe starts with the push of a button and gets its job done quickly without polluting the air with toxic carbon emissions. Use the scarified function to cut the grass roots for thicker growth and thereby healthy lawns. The detachable thatch collection bag makes it easy for grass disposal.
- Picks up thatch efficiently
- Suitable for larger lawns
- Powerful engine and safe to use
- Dethatcher and scarifier are easy to swap
- ETL approved and comes with 2 year warranty
- Changing the dethatcher for the scarifier requires a 10 mm wrench.
- Works only if there is adequate power supply
Type – Spike Aerator Shoes The scuddles lawn aerator shoes are like your gardening tool that helps to break up compact soil for maximum airflow and water absorption and thereby increases the lawn’s health.
Body and Material – This adjustable lawn aerator shoes are made up of sturdy plastic base that provides an excellent heel support. It comes with 13 pre assembled stainless steel spikes (30 mm spikes) and 3 adjustable straps with durable buckles on each sandal will help to get best results of healthy grass growth. It is lightweight (2 pounds) to wear for every repeated cycle.
Working Mechanism – Just simply stand on the sturdy plastic base and buckle the shoes to your feet with the 3 adjustable straps. When once you’re secured then simply walk around the lawn to pierce the ground with 13 heavy duty stainless steel spikes. Always remember that not to wear this spike aerator shoes on barefoot, as it causes injuries.
- Cost effective when compared with other alternative machine aerators
- Easy to wear, use and maintain it
- Provides life time warranty
- High quality buckles are strong and durable that can withstand the continuous usage of steel construction.
- Heavy coated finish which means risk free product.
- Time Consuming
- Labor intensive
- Some users complaint that strap design is not up to the mark.
Type: Aerator / dethatcher The mantis 7321 power tiller aerator is a perfect lawn tool to use in compact, clay soil. Lawn aeration and dethatching are very essential to maintain a healthy and beautiful lawn. So, you will get this lawn tool mantis tiller/cultivator in a combo pack that used as aerator and dethatcher.
Body Material – The lawn aerator has a set of 4 tempered steel blades which help to punch holes in the soil properly. It offers 60 spring steel picks that help to dethatch a 15-inch swath with a single pass. This mantis 7321 power tiller has dimensions of 15 x 8 x 9 inches and weighs 17.5 pounds.
Working Mechanism – Here the aerator cuts into the soil under the lawn and the dethatcher removes thatch quickly. This combo will ensure you to receive the best performance and flexibility to make you garden clean and healthy. Time Saving – Performing both aerating and dethatching at a time will help you to save a lot of time in maintaining a healthy green lawn area. Cost Effective –Buying both aerator and dethatcher at a single cost will make you feel it as a cost effective product.
- Gives lifetime guarantee on tines along with 2 years’ warranty from the date of purchase for the defects in material and workmanship.
- Performs both aeration and dethatching
- Dethatch a 15-inch swath in one stroke.
- A little bit difficult to handle this equipment and should have proper balance on machine before operating this device.
- Some people find difficulty in its installation.
Type – Aerator spike shoes The Abco Tech lawn aerator spike shoes are suitable for small sized yard with its professional grade aeration. These shoes look simply like a sandal but have spikes that dig the ground to reduce compact on the soil’s surface. It makes you to reach the most difficult areas of your lawn.
- Material & Body – This abcosport lawn aerator shoes are made of a sturdy plastic base with an excellent heel support. It has 13 heavy duty metal with 48 mm spikes on each sandal. It also has 3 adjustable straps with strong buckles that are designed to be highly durable and anti – corrosive. It fits easily, stay firmly on the feet and hold the shoes tightly for proper functioning. The feature dimensions of this spike shoes are 11.8 inches’ x 5 inches with nail length of 2 inch each and weighs 2.5 lb.
- Working Mechanism – Simply strap these shoes below your own shoes and tie the three straps. The sharp spikes of these shoes will effectively dig the soil as you walk to make it more fertile. It acts as an effective core aerator.
- Installation – Abcosport aerator shoe yard tools will come with a free small wrench used to install it easily. Once it is done then you can simply strap it over any of your strong shoes.
- Time Saving – Wearing this lawn aerator spike shoes and walking around your lawn will save your time by performing both tasks of walking, mowing and aerating the lawn.
- Cost Effective – Abcosport lawn aerator shoes are the best alternative over the professional lawn aerating tools that comes at an affordable price.
- Longer Life – Buying these shoes are a one-time investment which goes for several cycles of yard aeration and also costs less for its maintenance. If maintained properly, then it even works for lifetime.
- Made of superior quality and risk free product
- 2 – inch spike penetration that allows air, water, fertilizer and nutrients to seep into the roots.
- Comfort to wear and easy to assemble
- Best alternative to many other machine aerators
- If not adjusted properly then you feel slipping and may cause puncture to your shoes (thinner sole shoes).
- Time timing and requires physical exertion
- Small straps which doesn’t suit for many people.
Type – Plug / Core aerator This Brinly PA – 40 BH Tow Behind Plug Aerator works well on turns and uneven terrain with its three independently rotating, welded tine sections that minimize the turf damage during turns and helps for consistent penetration on uneven ground.
Body and Material – It contains 40 inches working width with 24 heat treated, 16 gauge steel plugged spoons to penetrate deep into the compacted soil and also removes up to 3 –inch plugs of soil. Its narrow design with sharpened ends will help for easy penetration and absorption of air, water, seed and nutrients to reach the roots. It offers durability and complete steel design with a fully enclosed weight tray that holds a region of 150 pounds (extra weight) for deep soil penetration. It weighs 64.5 pounds with feature dimensions of 37x51x28 inches
Work Mechanism – For crossing drives and rooted areas, this aerator includes a single transport lever to engage transport mode using the 10 never flat rubber tread tires. Universal hitch, a single pin gets easily attaches to every lawn tractor, ATV or mowers. The tines do not get clogged up with the plugs during its usage.
Installation and Maintenance – One can easily assemble the body parts of this aerator by simply following the pictorial or user manual instructions. After each usage of this aerator, you have to clean and store it in a safe place for further usage. Each plugging spoon is individually serviceable by quick and easy replacement of the parts.
- Single transport lever
- Ease to use across the entire garden area
- Tines don’t get clogged
- Universal hitch
- Cost effective and time saving
- Suitable for heavily compacted or clay rich soil
- Best in quality (USA) and easy to operate
- Shipping the products with some small parts missing
- Taking long time to assemble the aerator
- Not suitable for turning too many corners.
Type – Tow plug aerator This Agri Fab 48 inch tow style plug aerator is suitable for medium or large sized lawn (or heavy compacted soil) which experiences heavy foot or transport traffic. It works well in bring back the life to the dry and hard soil by making it fertile.
Material and Body – The Agri – Fab plug aerator is designed and assembled in the U.S.A with some imported materials. It has a durable heavy gauge, rust proof steel deck and welded drawbar that are attached to ride-on mowers or tractors. It has 48 inch wide working width (has a weight tray of 175 pounds capacity for increased soil penetration), 32 galvanized and sharpened plug coring knives with flat free transport tires. It weighs 86 pounds with feature dimensions of 53×17.5×7 inches.
Working Mechanism – All you need is to attach this aerator to ride – on mowers or tractors and drive the on the lawn area. The eight spools of aerator knives will dig the ground to provide a high level aeration and dethatching performance. It has simple to use cantilever transport handle that allows you for easy raising and lowering.
Cost – This plug aerator is a bit pricier than some lawn aerators but works best for large sized lawns and has longer lifespan.
- Strong, powerful and best tow plug aerator model
- Heat treated aeration knives
- Cantilever transport handle
- Time saving
- Suitable for land that has uneven terrain and heavy compacted soil.
- 3 year limited consumer warranty is available for this product.
- Works as a detacher by simply removing the layer of dead organic material build up on the lawn.
- Universal Hitch
- Assembly may take a little bit time – not like manual or spike aerator.
- Hard to turn in tight corners
- Most of the users complaint about some missing parts / pieces (while packing) which are used to assemble this aerator.
Type: Manual aerator Is your lawn gasping for oxygen? Then simply use this yard butler spike aerator which has sharp spikes that easily slip into the ground to loosen the soil. The lawn receives the necessary hydration, air and nutrients by this aeration to stimulate the regrowth of the grass roots.
Body and Material – The four 3 – inch spikes are a heavy duty fork that will penetrate and loosen the compacted soil. It works in various conditions such as rocky lawns, highly compacted ground and sticky soil. It comes with dimensions of 37x10x1 inches and weighs 2.25 pounds.
Working Mechanism – All you need is to exert the right amount of pressure by inserting the foot into the foot hole to dig your lawn. It has powder coated resin finish that makes it rust – resistant.
Less Cost – This china lawn spike aerator costs less when compared with other manual or expensive lawn aerators. It has a comfortable vinyl grip handle and works ideal for small lawns.
- It comes with lifetime warranty and guarantee against any material or manufacturing defects.
- Works well in rocky soil or the soil with high clay content.
- Easy to clean and store
- Low in maintenance and last for a longer time
- Durable and lightweight
- Not suitable for aerating large areas of lawn
- Soften the hard soil before aerating to prevent the breakage of spikes if used in densely compacted soil.
- Time consuming and labor intensive.
Everyone wants to have a fresh, healthy and lush lawn, all you need to purchase the best lawn aerators which is listed below to help loosen up the dry and compact soil and thereby to make it more fertile and beautiful.
What is a Lawn Aerator?
A lawn aerator is a simple device that used to break up the compacted soil to allow the air, water and key nutrients get penetrate deep into the roots of the plant/grass. It helps the grass and plants to grow better by alleviating the soil compaction.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Aerator for your Lawn?
To purchase the best lawn aerator, you have to keep a detailed list of some of these factors. Let’s have a look at it.
1) Types of Aerator to be used?
In general, there are two types of lawn aerators which include spike aerators and plug aerators (by depending on the type of soil and the lawn area to be aerated)
These are designed to punch holes in the soil and are mostly used for light grounds but not for heavy compacted soil. These are manual aerators and can be used at any time of the year, especially during fertilization or preparing the lawn surface for overseeding.
Plug Aerators / Core Aerators
These are designed to punch holes and remove the soil or debris from the surface. It is most suited for compact soil or with heavy clay soil. These aerators can be electrical, battery or gas based and that works well when the soil is moist but not saturated with water.
Kinds of Lawn Aerators:
By depending on these two types, there are various kinds of lawn aerators available in the market. Before buying a lawn aerator that suits best for your yard, you have to understand its types and their usage. It works either by pushing or pulling across the garden or lawn.
A) Spike Aerators / Manual Aerators:
There are various manual lawn aerators available in the market. They look like a garden fork with open tines or spikes to punch holes in the soil. These handheld or manual aerators are inexpensive and works best for the small yards but it is time consuming and labor intensive (use your hands or feet to push the aerator).
1A. Spike (tine) Aerator:
- This spike or tine or step aerator is ideal for small-sized lawns or yards but not for medium or large-sized lawns/yards.
- It resembles like a fork with 4 – 5 spikes that help to loosen the compacted soil.
- You have to place your foot on the foot hole and then push down so that the spikes sink into the ground. Then pull it out and repeat the same process throughout the lawn.
2A. Spike Core Aerator:
- This spike core aerator works well for an older lawn which is densely compacted soil and has a lot of debris.
- It is designed like a garden fork with two sharp tines of about 9 – inches apart that helps to penetrate deep into the compacted soil.
- It also removes 2 – 3 inch cores of thatch and thereby stimulates the growth of grass root.
3A. Spike Aerator Shoes:
- If you love gardening or mowing, then you can choose a pair of spike aerator shoes which works effectively in aerating your yard.
- Simply strap these sharp shoes onto the feet and walk around by performing gardening chores so that those sharp spikes of the shoe will poke into the soil or yard.
- Make sure to handle these shoes with care and avoid playing games.
B) Plug / Core Aerators:
Most of the gardeners prefer this as a most effective and easy method of aerating the lawn. It uses either electricity or battery or gas to fertile the soil. There are various types of aerators that are widely used to aerate the lawn. Let’s we know them in detail…
1B. Push Style Roller Aerator:
- This aerator is helpful to those people who don’t want to expend a lot of energy.
- It looks like an old manual style roller lawnmower and suitable for small to medium-sized yards rather than large-sized lawns.
- It is made from tubular steel with two sturdy plastic wheels and a tray that contains steel sharp spikes to dig into the soil up to 1-inch depth.
- Remember that it is not designed for a heavy compacted soil or uneven terrain. It is meant for a quick and easy tool for maintaining your lawn.
2B. Tow Style Plug Aerators:
- This plug aerator is the best one to use for larger lawns which uses a tractor, ATV, or riding mower.
- This aerator comes in different sizes that range from 42 – 48 inches.
- It is made up of heavy-duty steel with a steel reinformed towing bar.
- The weight will help to increase the penetration level for compact soil areas and thereby keeps it well balanced.
3B. Gas Powered:
- These gas powered models are suitable for professional or commercial purpose.
- A gasoline engine placed over the top of the knives to provide the weight needed to pull cores.
- It is narrow in width when compared to tow behinds and also loud and emit exhaust fumes.
- The best thing is that it aerates the lawn, cleans the grass faster than a tractor or ATV.
Always remember that the more power the lawn aerator has then the longer will be its lifetime and also it aerates the harder soil. So, choose the one which has more power rather than small electric aerators that dead after a couple of usages.
3. Width of the Blades
To spend less amount of time on lawn aeration, you have to choose the proper width of the aerator blades. The wider the aerator then the time taken will be less. The width of the blades depends on the type of soil. The width of the aerator plays an important role in aerating the lawn on a single pass and thereby saves time. For example, an aerator with 4 feet width will aerate 33 percent more soil when compared with a unit measuring 3 feet wide aerator.
4. Body Material
The body can be made of plastic or metal in which the plastic aerators weighs less and won’t get a problem of corrosion while as the strength and durability of the plastic is less than the metal. So, choose the best one that suits you.
Some aerators have needles and while others have spikes to pierce the ground. Also, there are some other aerators that contain special knives to clean the old grass and weed. So, choose the best one with perfect knives for lawn aeration.
6. Grass Collecting Bag
Some people prefer to have a grass collecting bag rather than cutting and cleaning the lawn after aeration while some others leave the grass to compost and make the soil richer.
7. Cost or Price of a Lawn Aerator
We already know that lawn aerators are used twice or thrice a year so that wise decision is to buy pocket-friendly aerators. The size of the yard which has to be aerated will decide the type of aerator to be purchased and thereby its price. You can get a reasonable aerator shoe for about $20 and it can be cleaned or stored quickly. Handheld manual aerators cost twice then the aerator shoes whereas the large aerators (lawn tractor or tow models) cost $150 to $200.
8. Warranty / Reliability
Just like most of the garden equipment, this lawn aerator has warranty given by the manufacturer’s. Although they don’t cover any damages that caused to the equipment due to natural wear and tear or any user error. These aerators mostly come with 2-year warranty and thereby cover flaws in the manufacturing process or materials.
Maintenance is very essential to keep any equipment clean, safe and to ensure a long life span. At the end of the usage, clean the equipment thoroughly and apply oil all the metal parts lightly. Here are some tips that you have to follow after every usage of this lawn aerator to make it clean and durable.
- Rinse dirt or mud off the lawn aerator by using garden hose
- After finishing your work, remove any tiny soil cores that remain in the lawn aerator.
- Whenever the plug points lose their edge then it has to be sharpened individually with a small grinder.
- Oil the lawn spool, shaft and wheel hubs as needed to protect it for a longer time.
Everyone wants to get the best thing for the money they invested. So, make sure to check that the lawn aerator is made by a reputable manufacturer with high quality material to keep the product safe and durable that increases the likelihood of reliability across its lifespan.
11. Ergonomic Handles
Whether you’re using manual, electric or petrol lawn aerators, ergonomics plays an important role in buying the aerators. The finish on the models should be smooth to avoid straining your back or getting blisters. The quality of the wheels and handles (well positioned) is essential for the overall durability of the product.
Why do we need to use a lawn aerator?
A lawn aerator is basically used to keep the lawn area clean and green with a healthy turf growth. We know that soil become dry and compact, particularly in the hot and humid climate which makes the soil unable to absorb air, water and other nutrients. Here are some benefits that explain you the need to use this versatile gardening tool.
- It alleviates the soil compaction, increases the uptake of oxygen, water and other nutrients and also removes the buildup of organic debris on the soil’s surface.
- It strengthens the roots of the grass and thereby it helps for proper and healthy growth of grass or plants.
- It prevents water logging issues and removes patchy or bare grass along with making the land more fertile to reseed the lawn.
- It creates more heat and drought resistant lawn. It reduces the water runoff which is caused due to heavy rains.
- Some lawns may experience human or animal traffic in which the soil become compact (unable to stick even a pencil). So, this type of lawns requires regular aeration for best results.
The Best Time to Aerate the Lawn: To maintain a perfect garden, every gardener should have this lawn aerator and they should know how often they have to use this lawn aerator. It is recommended to aerate the lawn for twice a year, especially for compacted soil or the soil with clay content to loosen the soil and make it absorb the water and nutrients. The best time to aerate the lawn is during the growing seasons (before seeding). For warm – season grasses, aerate the lawn in late spring or early summer. For cool – season grasses, aerate the lawn in early spring or early fall.
How Does a Lawn Aerator Works?
The simple mechanic in the lawn aerator is that it has rows of spikes or hollow tines which go into the soil surface by making small holes to get air, water and nutrients into the soil to alleviate the soil compaction. The process of lawn aeration will fertilize your land and make it more resistant to heat and insects to help the grass grow greener and thicker. So, aerate the lawn before reseeding or fertilizing for best results. Avoid using the lawn aerator in a dry and hot weather.
What Steps to take before Aerating the Lawn?
- The most important step is that you should cut the grass short which is less than 1.5 inches to make the soil for proper aeration.
- For proper aeration of the lawn, you have to water the land the day before aerating to moisten the soil but won’t water too much to make it wet.
- Be sure that all the irrigation pipes, power lines, valve boxes, and other pipes should be marked below this aeration level.
- Also, remove all the weeds before using this lawn aerator to prevent the spread of these weeds all over the lawn.
Before beginning the usage of lawn aerator, you have to understand what type of soil you’re dealing with. Like hard soil need stronger blades to penetrate into the soil and clay soil need longer blades for this aeration process. Another important factor is size of your lawn to be aerated regularly. Don’t think that choosing a lawn aerator that perfectly meets your needs as overwhelming or tedious process. I hope this guide will definitely help you in understanding all about lawn aerators and thereby simplify your search.
Frequently Asked Questions
We already discussed that for small sized yard, you can use the aerators that are designed manually (uses muscle power to operate) which are less expensive. Also, there are lawn tractors designed for large yards to clean and fertilize the soil.
Lawn aerator works by removing the plugs or cores of soil and creates opening in the soil with its spikes to make the land fertilize. Basically there are two types of aerators – plug aerator and spike aerator.Plug / core aerator contains hollow metal tines that open up the holes, removes thatch and reduces compaction for better absorption of oxygen, water and other nutrients into the soil. It also removes cores of soil when it moved across the yard. For best results in longer run, experts suggest us to use plug aerators. Spike aerators contain solid metal or plastic tines that used to puncture the ground. The wedge shaped tines are major drawback of these aerators why because they cause additional ground compaction in the area which is surrounding the punctures. Spike aerators vs. plug aerators – Spike aerator is used widely for seeding a brand new lawn but whereas for already established turf, plug or core aerators works well.
Yes, definitely it works best to aerate the lawn before overseeding why because aeration reduces the soil compaction, allows better absorption of moisture, air and other nutrients for root development and thereby helps for the healthy growth of the plants or grass.
Dethatching is used to remove a dead layer of roots and stems where as aerating helps to open up the hole in the land by using spikes or pulls soil cores. Although, they are used differently but serve for a similar purpose (allows oxygen, water and key nutrients to fertilize the soil).
The best time to mow the lawn is right before aerating but not after aerating. The reason is that mowing the lawn up to a height of 1.5 to 2 inches before aeration will make the land more fertile and thereby helps the grass to get recovered before going for another mow. Also, avoid rake after aerating the lawn to prevent the loss of soil microorganisms and organic matter.
It completely depends on the thickness of the thatch layer and the amount of soil compaction. In general, aerating to a depth of 2 – 3 inches is preferred for the thatch less than 1 inch thick. If the lawns are heavily compacted or having a thick layer of thatch, then you can go for the depth of 4 – 6 inches under the proper guidance of professional.
If you don’t aerate the land regularly then the soil becomes compacted and thus layers of debris will build up on the soil surface which in turn effects the movement (or absorption) of water, air, fertilizers and key nutrients into the roots. Finally, they will be less or poor growth of grass or plants in your lawn. So, remember to aerate your lawn regularly to reduce thatch layer and thereby loss of soil moisture.
Before buying a lawn aerator, you have to go through the soil type of lawn, size of the yard and price. We know that there is no use of purchasing an aerator rake for a big yard and gas powered lawn aerator for a small garden. * For small lawn with hard soil, manual aerator with wheels suits best. * For small lawn with light soil, lawn aerator rake will work best. * For big lawn with hard soil, use gas powered lawn aerator. * For big lawn with light soil, prefer electric lawn plug aerator.
Although, all the products that are mentioned above will work best in aerating your lawn but here are some expert advice that help you in choosing the right product for your yard aeration.
For large lawn aeration – Use Greenworks 10 Amp Corded Dethatcher (or) Sun Joe AJ801E 12 Amp Lawn Aerator
For small spaces – Use Yard Butler Lawn Coring Aerator ID – 6C
For medium sized lawns – Use Agri Fab 45 – 0299 48-inch Tow Style Plug Aerator
Aeration is the best practice to be performed once or twice a year to achieve a beautiful lush green lawns. So, choose the one that best suits for your lawn as per your requirements.
from Electronics Hub https://ift.tt/2Y5UUWG